Friday, May 2, 2008

May TIF Challenge

This is the colour pallette that Sharon has given us for the May TIF challenge.
Now I think I can deal with this one without too much trouble.
Listed below is what Sharon wrote about the concept for people who choose to do that part of the challenge--me I'm sticking with the colour and my CQ blocks.
Bring it on.




(((How do you describe yourself as an artist? One moment I am doing one thing that could be described easily as Art and the next I am doing something else that is craft! One moment my curiosity has lead me to to look at something quite strange as beautiful like the mould that grows on food in the fridge and the next I am looking at something most people would find familiar and boring and finding it fascinating like the bubbles in the washing up water.
Have you noticed that the term maker is being used to describe the activity of various people who may in the past be referred to as crafts person, or applied artist? For instance the British Crafts Council provides some interesting and thoughtful reading but in the Makers in Focus which looks at the working environment of West Midlands people producing crafts, the term ‘maker’ is used to encompass practitioners who variously describe themselves as craftspeople, or applied artists.
One of the ways I try and make sense of what I do is by defining what ever it is, as clearly as I possibly can. I think most people do that. The way I see it is if you can’t talk about what you do, or haven’t taken care in how you think about what you do, how do you expect others to respect the way you spend your time? Or how do expect people to respect what you make?
OK there is a few questions in the passage above but this month the challenge question is what do you call yourself and why?
Hopefully this will have everyone scratching their head but if you don’t like the challenge question you can elect to use the colour scheme instead.)))

3 comments:

sharon young said...

Now this one really is a deep one! How clever of Sharon to come up with something so thought provoking! I'm not sure I'm happy with the term maker, it somehow feels as if it takes us even further away from being considered artists!
Love the colour scheme.

Jan said...

Hmmm! What would I call myself? A very thought provoking question and one that I haven't got an answer to immediately. I suppose I could be called a 'maker' (although I don't necessarily like the term) because I consider that I 'make art' in what ever form. But I shall have to think further about this!
Love the colours, by the way!

Maureen said...

I'm with you Doreen , stick to what you are sure about, my brain wouldn't get round this one even tho' I know what I am and that isn't a 'maker' don't like that at all.