Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Rusty Stuff

Part of the Ratty Tatty Papers workshop was about rusting papers with Ferrous Sulphate and a Caustic soda solution.
I also had these instructions from the workshops that I did with Carol and Linda in their Fibre in Form workshop.
I didn't like the idea of using these chemicals although they all assured me it was safe to do so.
Knowing what I am like I thought I would do myself some harm and my husband felt the same as well.
Then I remembered that someone years ago had told me about using steel wool and water and vinegar so I decided to use this method instead.
In the first photo the rust is very crusty and has a wonderful texture.




This photo is of the last piece of paper that I put in the sludge that was left--it turned out very even in the colour.
I bet if I tried to get the same effect again I wouldn't be able to.





In this piece I turned the paper around and also over so that I got a very nice variation in colour.




In this one you can see the strips from the roll of steel wool that I used.




I also added a couple of pieces of cotton fabric just for fun.



All in all I am quite pleased with the results.

12 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Nice! I've done this using fabric but hadn't thought of paper. Great idea (and far cheaper than having to buy the chemicals).

Janet said...

That first photo is great! I love the rusty look and it seems to have a lot of texture. This looks like something I might like to try.

Unknown said...

It looks like a more safe method to me? Colours are lovely.

Unknown said...

They look wonderful Doreen,great effect

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

I have lots of steel wool - well my OH has - so I will try this method. Might try some overdying too and see what happens.
Cheers and thanks for that idea.
Shirley

Joei Rhode Island said...

What fun Doreen. I may have to try vinegar and steelwool on silk for nuno. I love the colors.

Heather said...

I love the textured look you get with rust dyeing, and using wire wool and vinegar sounds much safer than the chemicals. I must have a go myself. Is it just 50/50 water and vinegar?

Dot said...

Excellent result Doreen! And I agree with you (and everyone else) much safer method than using chemicals.

Penny said...

I love the background Doreen. I have used the rusty objects but not steel wool so I must get some. I have the feeling I am running out of time to do too many more samples but at least I have done both tyvek and lutradur before.
It was great actually seeing some of Dale's samples.

Val said...

Just gorgeous Doreen - all those lovely rusty bits. I have some wire wool I clean my soldering iron tip with - must have a go too!! LOVE YOUR NEW LOOK.

Jo Wholohan said...

wow i love these papers doreen, thanks so much for visiting my blog, its always nice to meet a new face xx

india flint said...

you're very wise to avoid using ferrous sulphate, not only is it toxic and corrosive it can also allegedly lead to a nasty form of anaemia as the iron molecules in solution can apparently be absorbed through the skin and bond with cells in the blood, inhibiting the takeup of "good" iron.
it may be a fairy tale but it's enough to keep me away!