Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Embellish Stitch and Enrich samples

I am doing the Embellish Stitch and Enrich online class with Dale at The Thread Studio and I must admit I am enjoying it so much and learning a lot.We have finished week 2 and here are some of my samples.
The first one is my challenge piece and it is my interpretation of a Bluebell woods in the UK .
The photo that I used for my inspiration was taken by Helen Miles and she has kindly allowed me use it.
The base is green felt with 2 different coloured pieces of scrim on top-then wool tops were layered to resemble the trees and fields.
I then put the wool threads down to resemble tree trunks and branches-and finally added some hand stitching.
The photo really doesn't do the sample justice as it looks so much better in real life and is better viewed from a distance.








This is the photo that Helen took while she was walking one day near her house.





This is a piece of embellished felt with 4 squares taken from one of last weeks samples--with silk fibers placed on top and then embellished and then I did some running stitch in between the squares.








Next I have used felt with gossamer fuse ironed on to it then blue foil -then several different of hand dyed scrims-next was some blue and red chiffon scarf.
I then zapped it with the heat gun and sprinkled some bonding powder onto this and added some gold foil.




This is a close up of another sample----hand dyed scrim on felt--embellished- then a layer of nylon organza which was zapped with the heat gun and stitched.





This workshop is so informative and the work done by all the students is exceptional.
Dale will be running a second workshop beginning in August so if you are interested you can contact her at The Thread Studio.


12 comments:

Lise said...

Lovely work Doreen, I love the Bluebell piece. It's very tempting to join the next workshop........

Helen said...

I love what you have done from my photo Doreen. It's absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the links.
Helen

Sandy said...

Your samples are so nice. The scene is well done.

Veleta (Sammy) said...

Doreen, all your samples are awesome and your landscape one is very, very aweesome... Am so glad Dale is going to run this class again.... there is so much in each class and I know of some who so want to take it!
sammy

Purple Missus said...

Fabulous samples Doreen and I agree, its a very good course. Dale is showing some wonderful pieces of her work.
Maybe you can talk her into doing some other online classes in different techniques :)

Jan said...

So clever - something that I have never been able to do. The end results are beautiful.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Beautiful scene! I so want to walk in that flower-filled woods. So pretty!

Micki said...

Wonderful samples. Love your bluebell piece. I am enjoying the course, but I am starting to get a little behind in it.

Aussie Jo said...

Great work Doreen, you are a fantastic advertisement for Dale, I hope she's paying you a commission, maybe some freebies!!!!!

dogonart said...

Thanks for sharing. This looks to be a very interesting course. I'll look into it.

Val said...

Marvellous pieces Doreen - you must be well chuffed! Love the bluebell piece, I could see what it was before I wound down to the pic.! (I'm trying to paint something similar in my altered book at the moment ....!) Val

Dot said...

Sounds like you are really enjoying Dale's class Doreen. And I love every piece of art in this post.