Sunday, November 11, 2012

Two days of Wonderful Stitching

The weekend workshop is over and I am exhausted but it was well worth it.
 I have learned so much in these 2 days and I don't have a lot to show for it-but what I do have I am really pleased with.
This pile of colourful little grub like things are Raised Chain Bands-the thread is called gimp and it is quite thick.

 

The top square is called Cross Hound's Tooth and was worked over diagonal stitches again worked in the Gimp thread.
The bottom square is several rows of Blanket Stitch  and the bottom 2 rows have been wrapped with Chenille thread.                       



Today we worked on a different section and did Wheatsheaf stitch and  Cushion Stitch.
I have used Silk thread-Perle 3and 5 cotton and a hand dyed Cotton a Broder thread.




Here you can see where I have added a Wheatsheaf stitch between the two rows of Raised Chain Band-
Added beads over the Chenille thread on the bottom left.
The next section across is stitched in Running Stitch in Gimp then it was laced with gold thread which is hard to see in the photo.
In the right hand corner there are giant Bullion Knots (24 wraps with 6 strands of cotton) and two rectangle Mother of Pearl buttons which have French Knots in the holes. 


 


Now all I have to do is fill in all the other squares with lots of interesting stitches.
We leave on another cruise on the 20th for 14 days so guess what I will be taking with me :-}}
And here is a photo of Effie with little old me getting a bit of special attention.

8 comments:

Stitching Lady said...

How wonderful to see all this and Effie (who I know from a book) and "the little old - oh not so old - you". Thanks for showing all those stitches and describing them.
Have fun, Doreen.

Downunderdale said...

looking wonderful and yes a super thing to take on your cruise...

Heather said...

Your little sampler of stitches is looking good Doreen. I love Raised Chain Band but have never worked it like that - I must have a go.
I love Effie's work and have one of her books.
Enjoy your cruise - looking forward to hearing all about it.

Janet said...

You just keep learning more and more new stitches. These are incredible. I love the ones made with gimp. The Raised Chains look like little roses.

Suztats said...

Wow! I love what you've been stitching! They look wonderfully dimensional, too. I have some soft and shiny silk gimp thread that is so nice to use. Was yours silk?

Robin Mac said...

What a great learning weekend you have had. The stitches look fascinating, I will look forward to seeing what you do on your cruise. Cheers

Aussie Jo said...

Beautiful work Doreen, have fun on your cruise.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

And you thought you couldn't do it!! Oh ye of little faith. This looks great and you can tell by your beaming smile that you're having fun.