Friday, February 19, 2010

Making Paste Paper

Today I have been making Paste Paper in preparation for our next Paper Arts group meeting.
I have been wanting to try this for ages but never got around to it-so when the opportunity arose I decided to go for it.
There are a few recipes on the internet for making the paste using cornstarch and similar products but they had to be cooked so I chose the one here which used wallpaper paste.
The idea is that you mix up the powder with warm water and when it is all dissolved you add the acrylic paints and mix well.
Next you paint the mixture onto the paper and then make marks in the paint with pattern tools.
I used a Tsukineko multi purpose squeegee tool which is a three sided gizmo and one of the sides has teeth cut into it.
I just drew the designs and hoped for the best.



This one was created with the side of a spatula-----------------



In this one I used two different blues painted in a check design-then I drew squiggles with the squeegee on an angle and lastly I used the bottom of an egg carton to form a new pattern.



Again I used the egg carton------------


I painted red paste on the paper first and drew in it with the squeegee.
When it was almost dry I painted blue over the top and again drew squiggles on it.




Painted --then drew squiggles and then used the bottom of the egg carton.




Circles drawn with the point of a spatula----------------




These will be very useful for a lot of things.

13 comments:

Heather said...

These effects are gorgeous Doreen - such lovely colour combinations. I can't wait to see what you do with them.

Jen xo said...

This is such a great technique, ive not tried this. you got wonderful results!!!

Maggi said...

Brilliant effects. I hadn't heard of doing this with wallpaper paste before - the cooking of the cornstarch always put me off. Thanks for the tip. Enjoy playing.

Sandy said...

They turned out nicely. Aren't paste papers fun?

Ati said...

Hi, that looks very interesting!

Purple Missus said...

Sorry, not happy with this at all -
you have just given me something else to put on my list of things to try. *LOL*
What brilliant results, especially the top two. I wonder how it would work on fabric?
Love the new look blog by the way. :)

Penny said...

Looking good, must try it one day.

Janet said...

They turned out great! Do you ever sleep?? You seem to accomplish so many projects while I'm sitting here thinking about doing one.

Aussie Jo said...

Fantastic patterns Doreen, these will make a great base for art. I must post some pics of our last group meeting, we did a similar thing on tags with modelling paste.
Cheers
Jo

Dotti said...

These paste papers are nice....now what do we do with paste papers?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wow Doreen - you're always coming up with something new! I like the colours on these and now I'm curious to find out what you're going to make with them.

Unknown said...

Lovely effect Doreen!

Hilary Metcalf said...

Wow - this looks like fun. Does the paste change the 'hand' of the paper? I am going to have a big pile of wrapping paper to dispose of when we move into the new house and unpack, and I have been thinking I need to recycle it into colourful wrapping paper, rather than get rid of it -will give this a go!